Monday, January 30, 2012

I am paid on a salary basis while working as a hibachi chef. can my boss change my schedule without notice?

as a verbal agreement, i'm allowed to have 2 days off every week. but then he changes the schedule and demands all the chefs to work 7 days straight because he just fired 2 chefs. is this legal?I am paid on a salary basis while working as a hibachi chef. can my boss change my schedule without notice?
There is more than one issue involved here. Yes your employer can change your schedule without notification.

No you do not have to work seven days a week there are laws that govern not only minimum wages and overtime pay, but regulate days off.

I do not have all that information at my finger tips, but the fact that you are salaried does not exempt your employer from following wage and hour laws, in all but a few exempt industries you must receive at least the minimum wage and receive time and a half for overtime. If you are salaried you employer can pay you more that what you would receive under those laws but not less.I am paid on a salary basis while working as a hibachi chef. can my boss change my schedule without notice?
The key point is salaried. That means you have to work as much as needed. It is very much legal.I am paid on a salary basis while working as a hibachi chef. can my boss change my schedule without notice?
salary basis --how paid---weekly==40hr--two days off----$x

weekly==56hr--0 days off-------$x



same pay==more work---have all chefs walk off.



owner makes more money----I am paid on a salary basis while working as a hibachi chef. can my boss change my schedule without notice?
Sure it's legal. You could leave, but good luck finding another job with this economy. Managers know they can squeeze their employees right now because everyone is stuck where they're at until we get some economic recovery.
I don;t think the job of a "chef" can be paid salary with out paying for overtime - check federal dept of labor website for categories of jobs that are exempt from overtime (meaning they don;t have to pay overtime) - I doubt that restaurant chef would be listed there

No comments:

Post a Comment