Thursday, February 23, 2012

In your family, is it a part of your culture that women eat less (should eat less) than men?

My friend and I often have lunch at this teppanyaki-Hibachi style restaurant and we started noticing that women seems to get lesser portion of the same order (same price) than men. Well I don't care much about it since I am satisfied with the portion I'm getting but my friend who is non-Asian asked me if it's a part of Asian culture that women eat less (or should eat less) than men. Is it really true?In your family, is it a part of your culture that women eat less (should eat less) than men?
not in my family. the women eat just as aggressively as the men in our family. :)In your family, is it a part of your culture that women eat less (should eat less) than men?
No it's not. From my grandparents on both sides, we are 100% Filipinos although my parents were born and raised here in the States. So am I and my siblings. We are not aware of this "gender inequality in eating" norm nor have I observed this among my Asian friends who are Vietnamese, Indians and fellow Fil-Ams.
not applicable to me.. I eat whatever I like in a bigger portion. Well.. maybe that's just me but I haven't heard things like that.In your family, is it a part of your culture that women eat less (should eat less) than men?
This is also not present in our family culture or whatever you may call it. Actually sometimes we girls eat much more than guys in our family.



Its a good thing that those people who you observed asked for a smaller portion of their food than leave it in their plates. Im not really comfortable seeing plates with a lot of unfinished food.
I doubt it if the issue can actually be considered as cultural,..but rather physiological.



And the thing with this restaurant that you have mentioned - rationally logical.

(less food wastage, greater profits)In your family, is it a part of your culture that women eat less (should eat less) than men?
no
Not in my family. Both genders get the same portion depending on their appetites. We never limit food servings to women. Some women in our family are big eaters. They have voracious appetites for good food. LOL
It's probably more on the reason that Filipinas are generally petite-medium built so their food consumption is lesser than the male counterpart. Eating 5x a day too could probably contribute for not eating a lot on the next meal.
Maybe because its a Japanese Restaurant and they have this tradition of giving more to guys since Japanese men are superior over women?



This is interesting, maybe you can ask the restaurant and update us?

No comments:

Post a Comment