Monday, February 13, 2012

Do servers make good tips at a Japanese steakhouse?

I have experience as a server and recently came across a listing for an opening at a Japanese hibachi style restaurant. I'm quite fond of dining out at these places but rarely see a server participate in my meal besides the beginning and the end. I'm wondering if it's worth it to apply for the job.



Do the servers make good money at hibachi grills?Do servers make good tips at a Japanese steakhouse?
No. The server gets a very minimal tip. Most of the places I've been to people tip close to 10% or a little under. You brought out the drinks and a salad--often times they had other wait staff bring out the salads. That's it. I never see them again until they bring the check. Even when/if they come back to give refills, you don't notice b/c you are paying attention to the chef's show.



I think you would get tipped a lot less than you would at another restaurant with roughly the same prices. Though a lot of people tip the same 15% regardless of where they eat. The advantage there is that you wouldn't have to work for your 15% but the turnover isn't high either since they stay til the show is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment