Thursday, February 16, 2012

Should a Hibachi restaurant ask for gratuity at the grill?

There is a local Hibachi grill in town that we go to VERY often. My husband and I bring our 3 children, and have always been seated promptly, but would have to wait to be served after all the seats were filled around the grill where we were seated.

A couple of weeks ago, we went with my brother and sister in law, and as always, our children came as well. This made us a table of 7. We were all seated at the same grill, but still had to wait for others in order for the chef to start his show. The service on this particular night was lousy, and 2 of our orders were wrong. When I was handed our bill, I noticed that we were being charged $30 in gratuity! When I asked the manager about it, he proudly stated that when a group of 6 or more come in, gratuity is added automatically. I know this is a common thing when you are seated at a "private" table, but should this be common for a Hibachi...where you have to wait for the table to fill up anyway?

I just feel that if my husband and I would have acted like we didn't know my in laws, we still would have been seated at the same table anyway, and not been charged that additional fee!Should a Hibachi restaurant ask for gratuity at the grill?
+++ People have a lot of nerve! +++

No comments:

Post a Comment