Monday, February 13, 2012

How can I repair the rust on my cast iron grill?

I have a Lodge cast iron hibachi style grill. I carelessly left it outside and it has since rusted. I plan to remove the rust with a drill mounted wire brush, but then what? I'd rather not paint it because I don't want any off gassing while cooking. Can I coat with vegetable oil and re-season by filling with hot charcoal?How can I repair the rust on my cast iron grill?
Basically you are on target with your solution. I would clean off all of the rust with a wire wheel and then use a wire brush. From there I would use an scouring pad with a good cleaner like comet. Rinse off completely and then re-season it. Make sure you get it good and hot and wire brush it some more. Then it should be fine for you to use.



cheersHow can I repair the rust on my cast iron grill?
"Can I coat with vegetable oil and re-season by filling with hot charcoal?"



That's what I would try.How can I repair the rust on my cast iron grill?
Clean off the rust with the wire wheel/brush and then use cooking spray on it. Don't leave it out in the rain again.

No comments:

Post a Comment